About this role: Paralegal
We are currently hiring a Paralegal for our client, a large oil and gas company. Reporting to the Senior Counsel in Mississauga, the successful candidate will provide advanced paralegal assistance to Corporate Legal and internal clients. Among other duties, the successful candidate will be the primary legal support and point of contact for the various North American sales groups in the Lubricants and Specialty Products divisions of the clients' Corporation and its affiliated companies. The successful candidate will manage and support the sales contract management process, including the negotiation, drafting and review of sales contracts and associated documentation and the administration of project files.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the investigation and analysis of regulatory, compliance, and contractual issues, and will assist in projects as needed to accomplish legal objectives for the business.
- Draft, review and negotiate contracts and related documentation for the clients Corporation’s global businesses, and in particular its Lubricants and Specialty Products businesses
- Assist with the creation and maintenance of contract templates and of key compliance processes which meet the needs of the clients global business
- Interview clients to gather background information needed for contract review and preparation
- Evaluate contract compliance and advise others on contractual rights and obligations
- Serve as liaison between internal business clients and Legal, including key internal stakeholders such as Sales, Procurement, Credit, Risk Management, Research & Development, and Marketing
- Manage the receipt, cataloging and reporting of sales and procurement contracts
- Organize and track contract expiration dates, deadlines and other similar contract milestones
- Establish and maintain contract files according to subject matter and retain originals
- Research and analyze case law, statutes, regulations, and other legal materials in support of business activities and corporate strategies
- Administer “Legal Help Desk” process for streamlined management of legal contract support from intake through execution
- Track, collect and provide reports of metrics designed to improve legal department performance
Special assignments or tasks assigned to the employee by their supervisor, as determined from time to time in their sole and complete discretion
- A minimum of eight years of paralegal experience, preferably with a focus on contract management and administration, including the drafting, review and negotiation of sales contracts, and the organization of transaction documentation and maintenance of contract records.
- University degree is required, preferably in a business related field
- Certification or degree in paralegal studies is required
- Must have proven history working with and directing outside counsel
- Experience working with sales teams based in Canada and the United States would be preferred
- Licensure as a Paralegal from the Law Society of Ontario is preferred
- Demonstrates high standards of integrity, honesty, ethics, and confidentiality
- Advanced knowledge of legal concepts, terminology and procedures.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to interpret and communicate the impact of contract obligations on business risks
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong non-authoritative leadership skills
- A good working knowledge of standard office technology and equipment, and general office procedures; proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Detail oriented; proven ability to work in a complex environment with multiple priorities and projects while maintaining strict adherence to required timelines.
- Ability to work well as part of a team.
- Proficient in planning and organizing, and monitoring information.
What We Offer
Why apply through Brunel? Finding the next step in your career can be a fulltime job in itself. We manage the process for you: from submitting your resume to coordinating interviews to extending offers and assisting with on-boarding. We’ll get you going while you get on with the job.
Join the Brunel Family
Join the Brunel Family
Brunel has a reputation for working with some of the best in the business. That’s what we continually strive for. Over 45 years, we’ve created a global network of interesting clients and talented individuals working together through a vast array of services.
Start applying immediately
Sending an application is quick and easy. Just make sure you have the required documents ready to go.
- Certifications (optional)
- Job references (optional)
- Motivation Letter (optional)
Any questions remaining?
Your consultant, Alyssa McLaren is happy to clarify anything about this vacancy. When reaching out, use the pub number:
Brunel Canada - Calgary