About this role: Geotechnician
Seeking a Geotechnician to work closely with the Geoscience Technical Support Team for a 12 month contract
Brunel Australasia are currently partnering with one of worlds premier petroleum and petrochemical companies. They have a great reputation for creating a safety-focused culture.
The Geoscience Technical Support Team (GTS) Project Geotechnician provides data integrity and technical / application support within the GTS team and to business unit project Geoscientists as necessary. The Geotech should know the objectives of the projects they are assigned to, and have an understanding of their roles and responsibilities to better anticipate needs. Building a working knowledge of basic geology and understanding internal (and vendor) databases (ExxonMobil Subsurface Database, Recall, etc.) is essential. Strong organizational and communications skills are key.TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIESData Integrity and Standards
- Provide project level geoscience data integrity (data QC) and data management support that enables Geoscientists to work more effectively
- Help establish and maintain local and global data standards and models
- Gather, transfer and load data from corporate repositories into project data stores and shared projects
- Work with ExxonMobil Upstream IT to identify / locate heritage data and ensure data is loaded properly into corporate repositories
- Assist in using data query / search tools including EMFindIt
- Assist Technical Data Center in capture and documentation of new and rediscovered 3rd party / vendor datasets
Data Manipulation and Workflows
- Import and export spatial, well, and log data from 3rd party and vendor datasets
- Convert, transform, reposition and reformat data from original sources and corporate repositories as needed
- Manage and maintain spatial data (cartography and culture data) using ArcGIS and Petrel
- Document new workflows and automation of routine defined tasks
- Utilize appropriate technology to generate or support the creation of geoscience maps, presentation packages, montages, logs, etc. with the ultimate goal of helping to make a business decision
- Create, digitize, edit, add attributes, import and export GIS data
- Generate derivative products and first-pass interpretation support for Geoscientists
- Produce geological figures
- Network with Houston and global Geoscience Technical Support team members
- SharePoint administration
- Monitor/analyze competitor activity as required
- BS in relevant Geoscience / Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and/or experience in Exploration, Development & Production environment
- Geoscience Technical Support Technician will demonstrate many of the following:
- Understanding of geoscience data including data elements, relationships, and usage in order to identify data problems and loading errors
- Practical knowledge of geodetics and coordinate reference systems
- Proficient in MS Office tools (e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Familiar with the various digital and hardcopy data repositories
- Basic knowledge of scripting languages (e.g. Python, Perl, SQL) is helpful
- Strong analytical and technical problem solving skills
- Effective oral and technical business writing/communication skills
- Promotes collaboration and knowledge sharing
- Victoria region based role
- Monday- Friday
- 12 month contract (potential to be extended)
- Great Culture | Safety Focused | Professional Team
Join the Brunel Family
Join the Brunel Family
Brunel is a recruitment and flexible workforce solution provider which connects talented people with opportunities throughout Australasia and around the world. We specialise in highly skilled roles across a variety of technical, professional, trades and craft disciplines, pairing candidates with industry-leading projects and organisations on a contract, permanent or secondment basis.
Operating in Australasia since 2001, Brunel has major bases of operation in Perth, Sydney, Brisbane and Port Moresby, which are further backed by the strength and reach of a truly global network spanning over 40 countries, 100+ offices and 45 years of successful operation.
Brunel is proud to be equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander and female candidates.
Start applying immediately
Sending an application is quick and easy. Just make sure you have the required documents ready to go.
- Certifications (optional)
- Job references (optional)
- Motivation Letter (optional)
Any questions remaining?
Your consultant, Darren Leavey is happy to clarify anything about this vacancy. When reaching out, use the pub number:
Brunel Energy Australia Brisbane