About this role: Research Engineer (Hybrid)
Research Engineer (Hybrid)
Brunel is currently in search of a Research Engineer whose role will involve working on conceptual process development, scaling up catalyst, product, and process technology advances, and delivering desired products and improvements predominantly for the Advanced SCLAIRTECHTM (AST) platform. This dual reactor process should be capable of maximizing the capability of the catalyst innovations and producing value-added products for the customers. The research program aims to ensure that a competitive AST platform, and other Polyethylene (PE) assets, are enhanced for the future, delivering high-performing and high-value products at a competitive cost by innovating processes for commercializing new catalysts, product, and process developments, and developing models and process operating conditions that will allow cost-effective scale-up and manufacture of value-added products.
- Lead or support projects that pertain to the exploration, development, and implementation of process improvements, new or existing products, and catalyst solutions.
- Collaborate with product scientists, catalyst chemists, manufacturing staff and other disciplines.
- Prepare and present Technical Reports throughout projects.
- Perform peer reviews for others on the team.
- Apply chemical engineering fundamentals to assist in the conceptual design of new processes.
- Develop advanced process models and steady state/dynamic process simulations by applying thermodynamics, mass transfer and heat transfer principles.
- Prepare for and lead pilot and commercial scale plant trials, process complex data, use applied statistics and mathematical models in planning and executing experimental plans and troubleshooting.
- Conduct technical and economic evaluations on alternative solutions.
- Prepare assessments on new technologies which may span the range of Technology Readiness Level.
- Work with business analysts and estimators to generate business case evaluations.
- Bachelor of Engineering degree with 5-7 years of related experience, Master of Science with 3-5 years or related experience, or entry level Ph.D.
- Registration with the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA), or equivalent regulatory body.
- Strong background in Chemical Engineering fundamentals, experience with research programs, and ability to learn quickly in dynamic environment.
- Gas phase experience would be an asset.
- Experience in working in high uncertainty projects and driving positive research outcomes is an asset.
- Experience with supporting pilot or commercial plant troubleshooting and experience with polyethylene polymerization technologies (LLDPE, HDPE, LDPE, etc.) and innovations are considered an asset.
- Proficient in reaction kinetics and process thermodynamics for polymeric materials, with strong understanding of transport phenomena (fluid flow, heat & mass transfer).
- Experience in static and dynamic process modeling utilizing commercial software packages is an asset (experience with HYSYS, Aspen Plus, gPROMS or other simulation software is preferred).
- Proficient in developing and implementing advanced data analytics, applied statistics, and automation tools, with proficiency in programming languages such as Python.
- Excellent consultation and communication skills. Must work well in a team setting with cross-functional interactions spanning R&D, Technical service, and Marketing and Manufacturing.
- Demonstrate a commitment to Responsible Care
- Strong project and time management capabilities, and aptitude for problem solving/troubleshooting
What We Offer
Why work with Brunel? We are proud to offer exciting career opportunities from over 100 offices globally in 42 countries. Advancing your career takes time and effort – let us match you to your ideal position.
Join the Brunel Family
Join the Brunel Family
Brunel has a reputation for working with some of the best in the business. That’s what we continually strive for. Brunel provides the global recruitment and workforce services you need to lead your industry. With 45 years of market experience in Renewable Energy, Automotive, Oil & Gas, Life Sciences, Mining and Infrastructure, we help you finish major projects safely, compliantly, on-time, within budget and at the highest quality, so you can keep growing – anywhere in the world.
Start applying immediately
Sending an application is quick and easy. Just make sure you have the required documents ready to go.
- Certifications (optional)
- Job references (optional)
- Motivation Letter (optional)
Any questions remaining?
Your consultant, Norka Thompson is happy to clarify anything about this vacancy. When reaching out, use the pub number:
Brunel Canada - Calgary